Let’s face it, we all need burgers in our lives. I’m not talking about heading out for a Big Mac or a Whopper (although I’m guilty of consuming both at times) I’m talking about creating your very own gourmet burgers at home. These are the best spicy pork burgers ever!
Many years ago, the Gourmet Burger Kitchen group opened a branch in Richmond (where I lived at the time). I loved it, it was great to take kids to but still felt grown up (if you know what I mean). However, when it boiled down to it, I realised that I was paying over the top prices for something that I could quite easily do at home (and don’t get me started on the overpriced chips!). They tapped into the idea that everyone loves a good burger – they aren’t just for kids. It also showed me that burgers are not the junk food products of fast food takeaways – they’re now ‘menu must haves’. No self respecting gastro pub would have a menu without their signature burger on it.
So here’s Coffee and Food’s signature burger (actually it’s my husband’s dish – he makes them a lot and we never tire of them).
The recipe is actually from Leon (www.leon.co) and offers a spicy alternative to the traditional burger. It’s also quite healthy as it uses lean pork mean (only 5% fat). So give it a go and let me know what you think.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of white peppercorns
- 2 cm of fresh ginger (we always use more)
- small bunch of coriander
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 500g of minced pork
- 1 tablespoon of fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- pinch of salt
- In a pestle and mortar, bash together the peppercorns, ginger, coriander stalks, garlic and salt until you have a dryish paste
- Put the paste into a bowl with the mince, fish sauce and the coriander leaves and mix it together.
- Separate into 4 equal sized portions and form into burger patties
- Hear the oil in a frying pan and fry the burgers for around 15 to 20 mins – turning regularly.
- Ta dah – all done. Serve in a burger bun or on their own with salad or ….even fries (sometimes you just have to).